Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) Visa Subclass 491
Subclass 491 – Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) Visa
All eligible and skilled workers and their families can be allowed to work, live, and study in Australia in their given regional areas for 5 years with the new subclass 491, Skilled Work Regional visa Australia. All visa holders can apply after 3 years for Residence Visa. For getting this visa, applicants should be–
- Sponsored by a family member who is eligible and living in the given regional area and invited to apply after submitting Expressions of Interest (EOI) at SkillSelect
- Nominated by a territory government agency or Australian state
The 491 visa is a skilled regional (Provisional) work visa which has come on November 16, 2019, to replace the existing 489 visa. It is basically a point tested and skilled visa. It comes with an age limit of 45 years and it calls for the positive assessment of skills.
Who can sponsor in your family?
For the 491 family stream, please check your occupation on the MLTSSL list. For getting this visa, your sponsor should be –
● Resident in a designated area
● Be your partner’s or your eligible relative
● Above 18 years old
● Be an Australian permanent resident, Australian citizen, or eligible citizen in New Zealand
An eligible family member can be –
- Your parent
- Your grandparent
- Your first cousin
- Your child/step-child
- Your sister, brother, adopted sister/brother, step-brother/step-sister
- Your uncle, aunt, adoptive uncle/adoptive aunt, step-uncle/step-aunt
- A niece or nephew, adoptive nephew/adoptive niece, step-niece/step-nephew
Be sure sponsorship is approved before you have been granted a visa.
Benefits of 491 Visa –
- More points for applicants of subclass 491 visa
- Priority in regional application processing
- Incentives for migrants to stay longer in regional areas while building ties by joining in community and workforce
Validity and Other Conditions
The visa is valid for five years. Conditions shall be applicable to enforce the intentions of the government that visa holders can work, live and study in regional areas only. Visa holders are eligible to move around regional areas, which exclude Melbourne, Sydney, and Brisbane. Gold Coast and Perth are categorized under regional areas. You may work for any employer in any field in line with the residence and work conditions related to your visa.
Candidates who have a new visa shall not have eligibility to apply for other Australian skill-based visas before completing a minimum 3 years in regional Australia.
What about the existing 489 visa?
The existing subclass 489 visa has been closed for upcoming candidates. Some middle arrangements have been made for candidates who have not been decided and the ones looking forward to having subclass 887.
Changes in Skilled Migration
As of November 16, 2019, there have been some changes in points test for skilled migration. The applicants for subclass 491 will be affected along with applicants for other visas for skilled migrations which haven’t been assessed on time. Here are some other point details –
- 15 points for sponsorship by a family member in regional areas to work and live in regional areas or nomination by Territory or state government agency.
- 10 points for STEM